In it’s third year, the aim of The Eclectic Reader 2014 Challenge is to push you outside your comfort zone by reading up to 12 books during the year from 12 different categories.
- The challenge will run from January 1st to December 31st 2014. Participants may join at any time up until December 1st 2014
- Create a blog post committing to your participation in this challenge.
* If you don’t have a blog you are still welcome to sign up. You can create a shelf for the challenge at Goodreads or LibraryThing or a similar site Just include your name and a link to your shelf.
- Post your name, blog name, and the direct link to your challenge post in the Linky using the link below
Challenge is now closed
- Select, read and review a book from each genre listed below during the year for a total of 12 books. A book may be in print, electronic or audio format.
* You can choose your books as you go or create a list in advance. You may combine this challenge with others if you wish.
* Where a book is identified by more than one genre eg historical romance, it may only count for either the historical fiction or romantic fiction genres – not both.
* You can read your chosen titles in any order, at any pace, just complete the challenge by December 31st 2014 to be eligible for the prize drawing.
- Award Winning
- True Crime (Non Fiction)
- Romantic Comedy
- Alternate History Fiction
- Graphic Novel
- Cosy Mystery Fiction
- Gothic Fiction
- War/Military Fiction
- Medical Thriller Fiction
- Travel (Non Fiction)
- Published in 2014
If you need some ideas for what to read in the above categories I suggest you search Listopia at Goodreads for example click here for a list that includes Alternate History titles
- Each time you read and review a book as part of this challenge, make sure you identify it by adding either a direct statement and /or the challenge image badge to the post. If you tweet use the tag #eclecticreader or @bookdout
- Share your review with other challenge participants by posting your name/blog name and title of the book with a direct link to your review in the Linky.
Challenge is now closed
Please take the time to visit a few links and leave a comment after adding yours!
All participants that complete the challenge by December 31st 2014 will be eligible to win a book of their choice to the value of $15AUD from bookdepository.com or a $10US Amazon gift card or paypal funds of US$10 to be drawn via random.org Jan 2015.
Winner is Kepagewriter
Please CONTACT ME if you have any questions, I hope you will play along!
Here is what I’ll be reading:
- Award Winning – Zac and Mia by A.J. Betts
- True Crime (Non Fiction) – The Good Nurse: A True Story of Medicine, Madness and Murder by Charles Graeber
- Romantic Comedy – Heartbreak Hotel by Debbie Moggach
- Alternate History Fiction – The Word Exchange by Alena Graedon
- Graphic Novel – Cemetery Girl: The Pretenders by Charlaine Harris and David Golden
- Cosy Mystery Fiction Guidebook To Murder by Lyn Cahoon
- Gothic Fiction Currawong Manor by Josephine Pennicott
- War/Military Fiction – Be Safe I Love You by Cara Hoffman
- Anthology – Games Creatures Play by Charlaine Harris etal
- Medical Thriller Fiction- New Orleans Requiem by Don J Donaldson
- Travel (Non Fiction) –Paris Letters by Janice Macleod
- Published in 2014
38 thoughts on “Eclectic Reader Challenge 2014”
I’m in! I’m using this challenge to help me get through my Mt Everest of TBR’s.
I’m looking forward to it 🙂
A question – can we enter more than one book for each category?
If you wish 🙂
I’m all signed up! Can’t wait to get started!
I’m in! Sign up coming…
I haven’t finished the 2013 challenge yet but am already excited over next year! I love this challenge. It forces me to read more than just YA.
Great idea! Just reading the list of categories makes me realise I should broaden my reading horizons a little. Thanks for getting me started.
I did terribly this year, but I am going to give it a go again this! Thanks so much for hosting this and have a fabulous reading year!!
I am very excited to participate in your challenge for 2014 🙂 thanks for hosting it!
This is a very exciting challenge – thanks for hosting! I’ve published my sign-up post as well:
Finally got signed up. Thanks for hosting again!
This will be my first year attempting this challenge; I’m really looking forward to it 🙂
Excited to try some of these genres this year! I’m determined to branch out (at least a little bit) from my normal reads. Thank you for the great challenge!
Alright, I’m definitely in! 🙂 Thanks for hosting this.
I’m going to attempt this:)
signed up! http://momsbookbanter.blogspot.com
I have signed up 🙂 My link to the shelf is: https://www.goodreads.com/review/list/2337007-brenda?shelf=eclectic-reader-challenge-2014
Shelleyrae, I linked to my profile in the sign up, which I see now is wrong. I don’t know if you can change it to the above link, but I couldn’t see anywhere to “edit” it…sorry! Newbie 😉
I edited the link Brenda – thanks for joining me!
Thanks Shelleyrae 🙂
I have finished this challenge!!! Thanks Shelleyrae 🙂
Congrats Brenda – the completed challenge linky is up – make sure you add your details!
Thanks Shelleyrae! I have just done so 🙂
Just finished up! I’ve linked my completed challenge post.
Hi, I added my post to the linky, even though I finished in August. I know I told you then, see the comment my entry. Can’t find my original post here, though.
Well, I finished reading books for all the categories but I only reviewed 3 of them. That’s terrible! I’ve linked my post. Thanks again for hosting! I’ll be signing up for next year’s challenge soon.
Better luck next year 😉