I would like to invite you to join me in the Borrowed Book Challenge for 2011. Supporting local libraries is essential as closures and amalgamations become ever more frequent and this challenge is designed to encourage you to use their services in the next year. It should be easily combined with any other challenges you might be participating in for 2011 and if you don’t have access to a library you are also permitted to borrow from friends or family.
You are welcome to join the challenge at any time!
How it works:
- The challenge will run from January to December 2011
- Read a book that you have BORROWED each month. Books (including eBooks & Audiobooks) can be borrowed from the library, a friend or family member but must be borrowed, read and returned to the owner within the year. Choose a goal from the four options below:
- Borrower Be: Borrow, read and return 12 books
- Stacked: Borrow, read and return 24 books
- Book Envy: Borrow, read and return 36 books
- Library Lust: Borrow, read and return 48 books
- Create a blog post that you can edit with updates each month – you can nominate your reads in advance or as you go. Use the challenge badge below in your blog post, you are also welcome to add it to your sidebar.
Save this badge to your hard drive and host on your own site
OR copy and paste this link
<a href=”https://bookdout.wordpress.com/2010/12/30/borrowed-book-challenge-2011/”><img src=”http://i122.photobucket.com/albums/o270/shraec/borrowedbookchallenge.jpg” border=”0″ alt=”Book’d Out borrowed book challenge”></a>
- Post your name, blog name, goal and the direct link to your challenge in a comment to this blog post.
- If you don’t have a blog you are still welcome to sign up. You can create a shelf for the challenge at Goodreads or LibraryThing or a similar service and link to that.
- Your blog name and link will be added to the Borrowed Book Challenge page for the duration of the challenge.
- All participants that complete the challenge at whatever level will be eligible to win a book of their choice to the value of $15 from bookdepository.com (or paypal funds of US$10) to be drawn via random.org Jan 1st 2012. All participants who complete the Library Lust goal will be eligible to win a bonus gift to be drawn via random.org Jan 1st 2012
Please ask if you have any questions, I hope you will play along!
January: I have borrowed and returned 7 books during Jan.
- Diamond Dove by Adrian Hyland
- Gunshot Road by Adrian Hyland
- Crescendo by Becca Fitzpatrick
- Stuff: Compulsive Hoarding and the Meaning of Things by Randy Frost
- The Weight of Silence by Catherine Therese
- Family Law by Benjamin Law
- Watch The World Burn by Leah Garrianto
26 thoughts on “Borrowed Book Challenge 2011”
I will get this set up this weekend as everyone in my house has the flu right now and getting to be on the computer is far and few. But it sounds like fun and I will also include m7 son in this as I can check books out for him as well and its never to young to get them involved in reading.
Your son will be welcome! Hope your family feels better soon!
My post will be live on Tuesday: http://muggle-born.net/borrowed-book-challenge-2011/
Sounds like a fun challenge. Thanks so much for hosting it. 🙂 My goal for the year is Stacked.
Thanks for joining me Cialina!
Thanks for hopping by my blog last week! I found your challenge and it sounds like fun! My goal is Library Lust. Here is my post to the challenge: http://trulybookish.blogspot.com/2011/01/challenges.html
Glad to have you join us!
This is a great challenge (and I really love your blog!).
Blog: Reading Challenged
Goal: Borrower Be
Thanks Ricki – you are all signed up 🙂
Hi, came by on the blog hop and saw this, a topic I blogged about earlier today so I’d love to join in. As I’m in love with my kindle I don’t read a lot of tree books any more but to support my local library have decided to make an effort to at least borrow one a month, so I’m going to aim for Borrower Be. Here’s my post – http://tc-bookedup.blogspot.com/2011/02/borrowed-book-challenge-2011.html
I would love to join this challenge but the every month thing frightens me – I know during finals I will not be doing any ‘fun’ reading. I wish everyone the best of luck!
Am I too late to join in? I borrow book from the library quite often! I would love to join in! I have been keeping track of my reads at goodreads, so I do know what I have borrowed from the library and read so far. I will post on my blog in the next few days! Hope it is ok if I count all books I have borrowed & read since Jan 1 st!
You are welcome to join in! Sending you an email now..
I am in at the Library Lust level!
I am not sure if I ever received that email or not, but I have finally created my post. Life has been complicated, and I have not been online much, and haven’t been posting on my blog much. However, I have been keeping a list of books I have borrowed, read and returned. I just need to find the time to post my list! Here is the link to my post, which I will update with a list soon!
All for libraries so count me in. Here’s my post:
My link didn’t work. Here it is http://lusravesandrants.blogspot.com/2011/08/borrowed-book-challenge.html
I know I am pretty late, but with the amount that I borrow and read from the library, I am pretty sure I can accomplish a bit in the next few months. can I still join?
Sure you can Jessica! Sending you an email!
So happy to have completed this challenge, here is my post announcing it! http://trulybookish.blogspot.com/2011/12/challenges-completed.html
Are you hosting it again next year?
Congrats on finishing it! I’m not hosting it next year but I have handed it over to someone else who was interested in hosting. You can find it here: http://latoyaliterally.blogspot.com/
I have completed the challenge. Here’s my wrap-up post
Thanks for hosting it.
I finished the challenge, reading 12 library books (plus a novella) I’m hoping to get chance later to write a post summarising the year and my challenges. Thanks for running this challenge!
I failed miserably at this one. I only borrowed 5 books (actually 6, but I haven’t finished that one yet). Here’s my wrap-up post:
Hi!! Sorry it took me so long to update! I have not even updated my blog since October. I haven’t been online much at all. Life was getting in the way.(and not in a good way!) Anyway, I did meet my goal of 48 books. I actually surpassed it, if I included books that I borrowed from the library and read to my 3 year old son. I used goodreads.com to keep track, and did not include books I read to son, and still managed to achieve my Library Lust goal!!
Hoping this link works
If it doesn’t, please let me know. I have not posted an update on my blog yet, but hope to do so sometime this coming week.